The initial Directors of the Board of Plas Heli Cyf will be responsible for the strategic direction of Plas Heli Cyf as the Welsh National Sailing Academy and Event Centre and will ensure that the facility operates in accordance with the objectives of the company as set out in the Articles of Association.
It is expected that the initial Directors will assume a proactive role in the development of the Governance and business strategies and specifically, in time, the appointment of the Chief Executive Officer (Centre Manager) who would then assume executive responsibilities on a day to day basis.
The Directors will monitor the performance of the company and assist in the development of business opportunities and the promotion of the facility as an Academy for education and community use.
Key Responsibilities and Obligations of a Board Member/Director:
Please note that these are in addition to the statutory duties of directors in the Companies Act 2006 which will apply and details of which can be provided on request.
1. Corporate Management
- Oversee the development, prioritisation and implementation of Plas Heli Cyf’s business strategy, policies, plans and budgets.
- Through utilisation of best organisational development and human resources policies and practices, shape and drive service delivery to motivate all employees, enabling them to provide a high quality service to user groups, clubs and customers.
- Provide motivational leadership, support and development to the Executive and senior management team and all staff, maximising the organisation’s capability and ensuring it operates in a way that responds to the organisation’s priorities as well as stakeholders’ needs and expectations.
- Ensure that Plas Heli Cyf conforms to and is aware of best practice in all areas including equality, diversity, access and inclusion. Working closely with the various and diverse communities that the Group is part of.
- Ensure that decisions taken by the Board are in Plas Heli Cyf’s best interests and that legal, regulatory and moral responsibilities are met.
- Ensure Plas Heli Cyf is well managed and business plans, financial plans, policies and budgets are adopted that set out and deliver objectives that are achievable.
- Be familiar with the work of Plas Heli Cyf, attend appropriate training and induction events to keep knowledge up to date and relevant and represent Plas Heli Cyf as required.
- Ensures that Plas Heli Cyf deploys resources appropriately to fulfil the requirements of the funding authorities and meet the agreed output targets.
- Ensures that, throughout the company, there is knowledge and appreciation of the Welsh Language and that the Language Policy is adhered to.
- Participate in regular appraisal of performance in order to strengthen the Board and governance.
2. The Board
- Attend Board and Committee meetings regularly, participate fully in discussions and share responsibility within the decision making process.
- Declare any conflicts of interest and withdraw from any proceedings of the Board where a conflict may exist.
- Periodically review and make recommendations on Governance structures, standards and policies together with the framework of delegated authority and reporting systems so that Board members are able to control and monitor Plas Heli Cyf’s work effectively.
- Help maintain a skilled and experienced Board. Keep under review the membership of the Board, any Subsidiaries and/or committees, to ensure appropriate levels of skills, experience, and representation, leading on development and the recruitment of new members when necessary.
- Board Members recognise a shared responsibility for decisions of the Board and undertake to abide by decisions of the Board and its Committees and uphold the doctrine of collective responsibility.
- Treat Board information and discussions as confidential until advised to the contrary.
- Be as open in communication within the Board as possible.
- Request and consider the professional advice of Officers and others before reaching any decision.
- Consider the need for external advice to the Board where there are material concerns about matters of probity or business interests.
- Not to do anything to undermine the work or reputation of Plas Heli Cyf.
- Comply with Plas Heli Cyf’s policies relating to gifts and hospitality.
- Ensure commitment to Plas Heli Cyf’s Equal Opportunities and Welsh Language Policy.
- Be involved in the appointment (and if necessary the dismissal) of senior staff.
- Board Members are expected to be members of at least one Committee.
- Board Members are requested to provide whenever possible, at least six months notice of their intention to retire from the Board.
3. Promotion of Plas Heli Cyf
- Promote Plas Heli Cyf externally to agencies, potential partners and in general ensure that good internal and external communications and relationships are developed.
- Demonstrate a willingness to liaise with and better understand the needs of the user groups, clubs, clients and customers.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the local authorities, Government and other public, voluntary and private sector partners ensuring that water sports, outdoor pursuits and relevant associated activities continue to play a fundamental role in the overall sustainability of local communities.
4. Operational Services
- Lead the organisation to achieve excellence in customer service to deliver appropriate local offers, ensuring that the activities of Plas Heli Cyf are carried out to the highest standards of integrity and professionalism and in accordance with regulatory requirements, statutory bodies, relevant legislation and best practice.
- Ensure all activities associated with Plas Heli Cyf are managed effectively and efficiently, and that strategies are devised and implemented to enable customer involvement throughout Plas Heli Cyf.
- Assist in the development of asset management and property strategies and policies to embrace Plas Heli Cyf’s objectives.
- Assist with Plas Heli Cyf’s organisation development and human resource strategies.